This is a test! Read each statement below and circle the ones that most represent the beliefs you have about yourself:
- No matter how much intelligence you have, you can always change it quite a bit.
- Your intelligence is something very basic about you and you can’t change very much.
- You can always change how intelligent you are.
- You can learn new things but you can’t really change how intelligent you are.
- No matter what kind of person you are, you can always change substantially.
- You are a certain kind of person, and there is not much that can be done to change that.
- You can always change basic things about the kind of person you are.
- You can do things differently, but the important parts of who you are can’t really be changed.
- When things don’t go your way, you take ownership, accountability and responsibility for your part in the situation.
- When things don’t go your way you use blame, make excuses or go into denial.
If you circled the odd statements, you have a Growth Mindset. If you circled the even statements, you have a Fixed Mindset.
If you tested positive for a Growth Mindset then congratulations! You have the “Right Stuff” for success in business and life! You understand that life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we respond to what happens to us. When you make a mistake or have a failure, you challenge yourself to get better. You look at failures as opportunities to learn and improve. Growth Mindset People embrace failure as a necessary part of growing, the same way an athlete will build muscle by tearing down the muscle, then building up it back up stronger.
Growth Mindset People are in the company of greatness. They share this mindset with the likes of NBA Great Michael Jordon, who was cut from his high school varsity basketball team and was not recruited from the college he played for. Michael Jordon used his Growth Mindset to work harder and get better. If he missed a shot in a game, he would reshoot the same shot 100 times. Growth Mindset People NEVER give up.
Growth Mindset People keep their pride and ego in check. They know that the only way they will continue to learn is by being humble, asking a lot of questions and realizing that asking for help is a strength, not a weakness. They know that growth is a function of being a consummate learner.
If you tested positive for having a Fixed Mindset, you CAN make the decision to change the way you think. You can BECOME a Growth Mindset Person!